The best way to make a Hummingbird Cake and really get it singing
Putting the Yum into Hummingbird
Cake Hands up who loves Hummingbird Cake!
Here’s the hands-down best recipe in the world for the most delicious Hummingbird Cake. You’ll need banana, pineapple, flour, eggs and a few other things. You will only need a mixer for the frosting – yes, only the frosting.
That’s how you make life simple and make a simply delicious cake more fun to make.
You can choose to use a wooden spoon, a whisk or a rubber spatula to mix the ingredients.
The back story to baking a Hummingbird Cake
The humble Hummingbird Cake was created in far-off Jamaica under the original name of a Doctor Bird Cake. It made use of the local tropical fruits of banana and pineapple with pecan nuts. This was just one of the island’s recipes sent to the U.S. to get Americans to visit Jamaica in the late 60’s.
The marketing kits contained a modified version of the original recipe and was included in the popular Southern Living magazine. The cake was a huge hit and won the Favourite Cake Award at the 1968 Kentucky State Fair. The popularity then went through the roof.
The recipe has been tweaked and finessed ever since. These days you can get everything from a traditional recipe to a special Vegan chocolate frosted version.
Let’s stick with the basic version and spice it up before you slice it up.
THE RECIPE for HUMMINGBIRD CAKE
Now you’ve got the background, let’s get into the full recipe and a tip on how to make it even better and make it your own.
Here are a few key steps;
- Have the oven ready to go and any utensils you need
- Make sure you have all the ingredients ready at room temperature – yes, it matters
- Measure out the ingredients and don’t get distracted
- Take your time and enjoy it – it will show in the taste of the cake (don’t get frazzled and upset)
- Double check you have everything and follow your steps
You will need a 23cm non-stick springform pan – Line the bottom with baking paper.
Have a wire rack ready for cooling the cake.
Now to get your Hummingbird Cake humming – get the room temperature ingredients happening.
- 390g of Plain Flour (Sifted)
- 200g of raw sugar
- 1 cup of grapeseed, sunflower or canola oil
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsps of vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas (mashed – 1 ½ to 1 ¾ cups)
- 225g of canned pineapple or half a fresh pineapple (*keep the juice for the icing)
- 120g of pecans or walnuts
- 2 x 250 Cream Cheese
- 200g of butter
- 2 tbs of pineapple juice
- 2 tsps of lemon zest (or lime)
- Flaked coconut, mango & banana chips for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Grease the springform pan and line with baking paper
- Drain the pineapple and keep ¼ cup of juice
- Sift flour, baking soda and ground cinnamon in a large bowl
- Stir in sugar and nuts and make a well in the centre of the bowl
- Mix pineapple, banana, eggs and oil in a jug then add to dry ingredients
- Pour pineapple mixture into the bowl and stir to combine
- Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 50 mins – 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 – 10 mins
- Make the frosting by mixing the cream cheese, butter and lemon zest and juice in a bowl on medium speed with the paddle attachment on the mixer until smooth
- Spread frosting over the cake and garnish with flaked coconut, mango & banana chips
There you have it! An absolute delicious Hummingbird Cake.
If you don’t want to go to the trouble of making it yourself or you just haven’t got time to get the ingredients or make the cake yourself, don’t cry.
You have a great option of getting your hands and lips around a super delicious piece (or two) of the Hummingbird Cake all of Melbourne is talking about.
Where to go for a slice of delight?
Alpen Delicious answer
Head straight to Alpen Delicious.
A Hummingbird Cake that has fallen straight from Heaven is all yours.
Check out the amazing range today at Alpen Delicious.